I am sure that you have seen ads for Craftsy online courses all over the Internet. Well, are they any good?! I have been very impressed with the cake decorating class that I am part of the way through! I chose Vintage Cakes, Modern Methods and the video is excellent for talking you through every single detail, and the printouts and extra help are also great. It’s well worth the small price for the classes, and they often have special offers!
One way to see if it is something you would like is to try one of their FREE classes! Yes, that’s right, FREE! There a quite a few to choose from – if you are into knitting, sewing or crocheting, you can choose from:
- Know Your Wool: Do you wonder where your yarn comes from? Learn about different types of wool and the individual characteristics of each.
- Or Creative Quilt Backs: Make the back of your quilt just as interesting as the front! Oh, Fransson! blog author Elizabeth Hartman walks you through everything you need to know to make beautiful quilt backs.
- Or even Sewing Machine 911: Give your sewing machine some TLC with the help of this free course. Learn to clean and maintain your sewing machine with tips and tricks taught in this class!
But for those of you interested in cake decorating, why not try one of these?!
- The Hand-Painted Cake: Elevate your cake with Erin Schaefgen’s freehand painting techniques. Create beautiful and edible works of art with Erin’s tips and tricks.
- Modern Buttercream: Learn to use buttercream like a pro! Discover the tricks and tips to construct and create a beautifully finished buttercream cake.
Trying one of these FREE classes is a great way to see if the other classes are for you!
Beautiful Red Roses!
I came across this link recently and thought that it was a really great step-by-step tutorial on making a simple cake look stunning by covering it with beautiful red roses.
The website is in Italian, but the pictures are so good that it would be easy enough to follow even if you don’t speak a word!
With some practice, it is a technique that I am sure could be used on many, many other cakes.
For advice on getting a lovely deep red colour for your red roses, have a look at the tips and tricks page.
A Great Way To Save and Display Your Work – Blurb It!
A great way to display your creations, show off your portfolio, or simply remember your proudest moments is to create a photobook with Blurb.
I have actually used Blurb a few times for various projects, and I can personally recommend the quality. The free software makes creating a professional looking book really simple, and gives you complete control over how your book will look. The print and page quality is excellent.
If you are an experienced cake decorator, maybe you would like to try your hand at writing a how-to or tutorial of some ideas that you have come up with. Blurb is the perfect way to create and sell your work!
If you are not yet convinced, they are offering 15% Off your order to get you started!
||$11.76 In Stock
||$13.43 In Stock
Alan Dunn Creative Cakes – New Book Coming Soon!
Alan Dunn has a new book published called “Creative Cakes”. It will soon be available to order from Amazon. Alan Dunn is one of the most talented Sugarcrafters – especially in the area of sugar flowers. He has published many best selling books, Creative Cakes being his 12th.
Betty from Athlone Sugarcrafters has participated in many of his classes, and looks at him as one of the top Sugarcrafters in the world. She recently received a copy of Creative Cakes, and is looking forward to trying out some of the projects. I will be asking her for some photos that I can show you when she has a few completed!
Anyway, you can sign up to receive an email to be informed when Creative Cakes will be available to purchase.