I first discovered work by Colette Peters when looking at some online classes on a website called Craftsy.com. I have been watching one of Colette’s online video classes, “Vintage Cakes, Modern Methods”, and I found her enthusiasm and knowledge to be inspiring.
Aside from online video classes, Colette also teaches many other cake decorating classes, and has published some beautiful handbooks on different aspects of cake decorating.
So let’s find out a bit more about Colette..
Table of Contents
- 1 Can you tell us a bit about yourself?
- 2 What would you say is your area of specialty?
- 3 What areas would you like to learn more about and improve in?
- 4 Whose work has inspired you?
- 5 What do you find the most challenging aspect of your Sugarcraft?
- 6 What is the one tool that you couldn’t do without?
- 7 Which cake have you been most proud of?
- 8 What was the worst disaster that you have had?!
- 9 What advice would you give to someone who is just starting out?
- 10 Have you got any tips or secrets that you would like to share with our readers?!
- 11 Can you give us a link to your website so that we can have a look at some of your work?
Can you tell us a bit about yourself?
iI am from Chicago, Illinois, and always wanted to be an artist. But I have also loved baking since I was 6 years old. I eventually went to art school, and ended up making cakes for my classmates.
What would you say is your area of specialty?
I like whimsical things and I was the first to make the “crooked” cake and the gift box cake.
(Colette has loads of wonderful photos of many other of her whimsical creations on her site)
What areas would you like to learn more about and improve in?
I would like to make more figures since I do not really do that much.
Whose work has inspired you?
The cake maker Cile Bellefleur Burbridge was my biggest inspiration.
What do you find the most challenging aspect of your Sugarcraft?
What is the one tool that you couldn’t do without?
My ball tool. (Which you can purchase online!)
Which cake have you been most proud of?
The wedding cake for the Prince of Greece.
What was the worst disaster that you have had?!
I never really had a disaster that I couldn’t fix.
What advice would you give to someone who is just starting out?
Take a lot of classes and learn a lot before you start a business.
Then they wouldn’t be secrets anymore, would they?!
Thanks Colette for telling us a bit more about you and your work! I would encourage my readers to visit Colette’s site and get some inspiration. It would also be a great idea to start with some of her Online Cake Decorating Classes.